Wednesday, June 21, 2023
On Boredom
This blog is a canvas for ideas that are not fully fleshed out, but my ideas on this topic don't even meet this low bar. Anyway here goes: this evening I wondered how much more peaceful life would be if one had a healthier relationship with boredom. What are the different feelings that are boredom in disguise? I can immediately think of loneliness. Melancholy, maybe even porn-induced horniness sometimes. There are, of course, different types of boredom--being bored of what you are doing and being bored because you have nothing to do, with the implied assumption that one must always have something to do. And, when one can't find anything to do, one ends up doom-scrolling. Also, boredom can push you into interactions that leave you even more bored. I'm not the first one to suggest embracing boredom, "sitting with it" in modern parlance. As with most things in life, the How is the more difficult question than the What. How to to embrace boredom? I don't have the answers yet, or at least an answer that will work for someone like me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment