Sunday, February 27, 2022

Fate's Endless Demands

It feels like just as I adjust to a situation life throws me an unnecessary curveball. My Covid turned out to be the worst cold I have had in months. Today, was the first day that I felt that I was clearly on the mend. But, that came after a rough night in which I woke up sweating and struggled to fall asleep later. I had to calm myself down by saying that whatever has happened and whatever will happen is not my fault. It worked, and I managed to get a bit of fitful sleep after that. Towards the evening, I sent an email to my boss asking if I could move tomorrow's class online. I expected a straightforward yes, but it was not to be. Apparently, the uni wou;d rather endanger the health of staff and students than move classes online. I shouldn't have asked, so if I was caught, I could have plead ignorance. but, too late for now. There are so many decisions I have made over the last two years that I regret that I wouldn't know where to begin or end. Why start making a tally now? The world is going crazy, the threat of nuclear war doesn't seem very distant, and classes should not move online is the hill that uni administrators would choose to kill people on. Dodgy economics must be taught, come hell or high water. So, I mailed the timetabling team and got a out-of-office reply. Not my problem. I mailed my students and told them tomorrow's class is cancelled. That problem has been dropped into a drawer and I have slammed the drawer shut. It will be opened later in the week. Or not, I don't care. I am going by the book this time, having learnt my lesson not to go by the book next time. 



Hey-ho, such is life, or such is life now. 

No comments: