Today, I fasted for the first time in my life ahead of a Grand Iftaar for Palestine. Attending an iftaar without fasting if one is able to feels like copping a free meal, and since this Iftaar was dedicated to Palestine, fasting was a no-brainer. According to the rules, the fast was to begin at 4:56 am, but I decided to begin my fast after having a cup of tea and a bite to eat. I didn't need to fixate on the precise timing since I wasn't going to pray in any case, And, since I am an early riser, I figured that wouldn't be too late, and I ended up beginning my fast shortly after sunrise. I thought going without water would be the difficult bit, but I was wrong. Going without food was more difficult, but I didn't feel stomach-churning hunger pangs. it helped that I was home and the only physical activities I did was light yoga and cleaning the kitchen. The Grand Iftaar was nice and very welcoming towards non-Muslims. I am happy I fasted in solidarity for Palestine, but I don't think I will be fasting again. I didn't feel any more affinity with Palestine than I usually do. I can imagine it being a soul-cleansing activity for believers but I am not one. . Bereft of the religious and spiritual elements, fasting is simply food and fluid deprivation. I
Sunday, April 7, 2024
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment