Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The Indian race

The hysteria about “Racists attacks against Indians in Australia” has died down and pubs have restarted serving Fosters (Australian for beer). Of course, Australia is no longer the second-most favoured study destination for Indian students. That honour has now been restored to England.

The good ole deshpremis have roundly condemned the Oz government for not doing enough to protect Indian students. The liberals heaved a collective sighed and introspected on our own racist tendencies. All that can be said has been said and my views on the matter are not very different from those already expressed.

But one thing that just struck me is that if you pick apart the phrase “racist attack against Indians”, doesn’t it sound somewhat fuzzy? For us Indians are not a race per se.

Technically speaking, Indians from the North-East are not from the Aryan-Dravidian stock that the rest come from. On the other hand, a lot of Pakistanis and Bangladeshis do have the same racial roots as us.

Of course, if you leave technicalities and quibbles aside, the aforementioned phrase sounds perfectly natural because we Indians lack an explicitly racial identity. Indians who travel abroad do acquire a quasi-racial identity when they come in contact with other races. I say quasi-racial because that identity is Indian rather than brown or South Asian.

Why is that? Is it because we’ve never been able to get along with Pakistanis and Bangladeshis? Or is it pure Indian hegemony at work—the tendency to assume that anything or anyone from the subcontinent is Indian unless established otherwise.

I’m going to digress for a bit to narrate a conversation that might or might or not be relevant to this post.

As part of an assignment in journo school, a couple of us went to meet an ageing RSS functionary in his ashram. One would expect to see Hindu zealots to see jumping around, tridents held aloft, crying Death to Muslims etc. etc. Yes, the purport of what this guy was trying to say might have been the same but his arguments were much more refined. The first thing he told us that Hinduism wasn’t a religion but a nationality—anyone who is born in India is a Hindu. Which is why they had organized ‘homecoming’ campaigns as opposed to conversions to bring back to the fold Christians and Muslims who had ‘strayed’ from the flock.

I found the argument fascinating and ingenuous in a morbid way. With one swift brush stroke all inhabitants of the Indian subcontinent irrespective of the faith they practice can be branded as Hindus. Of course, this shared Hindu nationality doesn’t stop them from butchering Muslims by the hundreds in state-sponsored pogroms.

Can the same argument be extended to Hinduism as a race?

Is there a subtext to the phrase ‘Racist attack on Indians’ which reads ‘racist attack on Hindus’, or is this is a leap of judgement on my part?

But I do believe a majority of Hindus see Hinduism as being a religion, race and nationality all at once. To most Indians, the terms ‘race’, ‘religion’ and ‘nationality’ all mean the same things. The Indian racial identity is a Hindu identity.

9 comments:

Ayeshea said...

"Indian hegemony" hahaha

Ayeshea said...

PS: By the way when I went to Malaysia, I was amazed by the number of officials who boasted that in the name of diversity, Indians could read newspapers in "Indian"

Sottai said...

Great post, and thought-provoking stuff.

Interestingly, going through this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_attacks_on_Indian_students_in_Australia

something that jumped out at me was where in India the attacked students were from. There are distinct patterns there. I'm not generalizing anything from this observation, nor do I know much about the composition of Indian students in Australia, but I find that...interesting.

Anyways. Great post, man!

Anonymous said...

not a majority of hindus but historically the term has been used for the people this side of the indus and this has been used by the RSS in their definition http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindutva_(book)

race of course is the wrong term but we are thinking in terms of western thought categories.. is caste race is ethnicity race what is nationality etc.. these ideas make sense only in a eurocentric universe and we can only make approximations.

still i guess even this approx "racism" is not wat prompted those attacks

good post

Shyam said...

the Anonymous comment was by me

Shyam.

carrers&scholarships said...

I just didn't get one thing - So what?

What's the discovery in this post?

A genuine doubt, hope u will answer. :)

lone_fox said...

@carrers&scholarships

You have me stumped there. No great discovery in the post, for sure. Just me musing over worldly matters

Anonymous said...

It is certainly interesting for me to read the blog. Thanks for it. I like such themes and anything that is connected to this matter. I would like to read more soon.

Anonymous said...

It was rather interesting for me to read the post. Thanks for it. I like such topics and anything connected to this matter. I definitely want to read a bit more soon.